Bell Inscriptions Revealed

Now that the new bells are up and ringing in Ab Kettleby, we can now reveal the details and inscriptions which have been adorned on them.


 

The treble bell, cast on 6th February 2015 in Loughborough weighs 3-3-7. The bell is donated by John Adcock in memory of Hazel, an experienced and popular ringer at neighbouring Long Clawson, who died on 5th May 2014:

Treble

IN MEMORIAM VITAE

HAZEL J. ADCOCK

DEO GRATIAS

Treble

2015


 

The second, also cast on 6th February 2015 in Loughborough weighs 4-1-0. The bell is donated by H. Mary Barrass of Shepshed:

Second

THE GIFT OF H MARY BARRASS
TOWER CAPTAIN
ST.BOTOLPH SHEPSHED

Second

EK TOΥ AΛΦA EIΣ TO ΩMEΓA

CAST BY THE DONOR 2015

(Part of this inscription is Greek, which means: "From First to Last" and signifies Ab Kettleby's position at the very top of bell towers listed in "Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers")

Mary, who is part of the team at the John Taylor & Co bell foundry, was responsible for pouring the metal into the bell casts for both of the new bells.


 

The tenor bell, weighing 8-2-22, was cast on 1st February 1929 in Loughborough for Gorran, Cornwall. Gorran were in receipt of a relocated full peal of eight bells in 2014, so this bell has been given a new lease of life at Ab Kettleby and is donated in memory of Rev Nick Green:

Tenor

RECAST AND 1½CWT ADDED
1929

J.U YONGE * VICAR

J.W. DREW         } 
WM. KENDALL } CH. WARDENS

W.W. RICHARDS. CAPTAIN

Tenor

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
1837 - 1897

E.R. SOWELL B.A VICAR
WILLIAM KENDALL JR }
WILLIAM WEST              } CH. WARDENS

Posted in Augmentation.